PCST 2014 Pre-Conference Workshop
« Social Media in the Public Communication of Science and Technology
– Crash Course and Hands-On Experiments for Researchers and Practitioners »
May 5th, 2 – 5 pm, Fiocruz, Salvador (Brasil)
The idea is to offer a hands-on workshop for acquiring online media skills in the field of PCST via practical engagement and experimentation in an informal and hopefully fun way. During the workshop we will learn about online media for generating, distributing and curating contents online and will exchange experiences on what works and what challenges we face in various PCST contexts, e.g. museums, research labs etc.
During the conference, we will apply the concepts elaborated in the workshop by covering PCST 2014 with online media. We will draw special attention to questions of social inclusion in the practice of PCST by approaching this issue in discussions and in practice. The workshop is meant to be useful to participants by taking into account the contexts in which they are applying their skills as well as by working on challenges they are facing.
Duration: 3 hrs workshop time + min. 1 hr social media work during the conference
(1) How to generate, distribute and curate content online - via blogs, Twitter, Instagram, Vine and multimedia collections (e.g. Timeline JS) (optional: web videos; integration of remote participants, e.g. Hangouts for expert chats);
(2) Basics of social media strategies for PCST;
(3) How to design socially inclusive social media strategies for online PCST;
(4) Reflection of potentials and problems of social media use in various PCST contexts.
Course Language: English (organizers are also fluent in Spanish for on the spot translation)
Participants: Social media beginners and experts alike (previous experience welcome but not required!); Researchers and practitioners of PCST; max. 30
Please register until 5th April via this form http://bit.ly/1jXLHoH
Please don’t hesitate to contact either one of us for questions, suggestions or any special topic/ tool you would like us to cover!
And please bring your laptop/smartphone/device – there aren’t any computers at the venue.
Fundación CIENTEC, San José, Costa Rica